The Apex Suite is a business engagement platform that includes both physical facilities (based at University Campus Milton Keynes) as well as providing remote facilities allowing access to the MK Data Hub.
So far we have engaged with over 90 Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs), and more broadly we have made over four hundred unique connections to the business community!
Our business engagement has included:
- Holding Satellite Applications workshops focusing on how business can utilise satellite information to explore new business opportunities
- Developing a series of SME case studies demonstrating how the project has allowed businesses to build applications that offer smart city solutions
- Hosted multiple ‘smart cities’ workshops focusing upon lean-start up and design thinking approaches aimed specifically at the SME community
- Engaged with nationwide businesses (as far afield as Manchester) around smart cities development
- Worked with SMEs and project partners to build a service management platform allowing commercial activities (e.g. buying and selling data sets) to be integrated into MK:Smart’s MK Data Hub
- Organised and hosted drop-in session for citizens who are looking to transform ideas into products
- Hosted a range of business delegations, including global organisations from South Korea, China and Brazil
- Hosted the MK Data Hub launch events where over sixty percent of attendees were from the business community, and other delegates coming from academia, government and the start-up community
- Worked closely with inward investment agencies such as UKTI to foster inward investment and economic growth within Milton Keynes and the surrounding area
- Hackathons – aimed at bringing together students, academics and businesses to co-develop smart city solutions
- Hosting “ask the expert” sessions to disseminate knowledge about technology to the wider business community
- Presenting short courses which include, for example, the Postgraduate Certificate in New Enterprise Creation
- Working with students who are looking to take their ideas and concepts towards working solutions
Plans for the future
On the back of our immense success in engaging Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) as part of MK:Smart, we have secured further funding to continue helping businesses who would like to engage with e-commerce and big data!
Leader: Dr. Paul Sant
University of Bedfordshire
For more information on the Apex Suite please contact the MK:SMART commercial Manager: